This post is for SharePoint beginners. One of the core elements of SharePoint is the list. A list in SharePoint is like a table in a database or a sheet in Excel. So basically any data you want to store in SharePoint you store in lists. Lists can be created using a template which give you predefined columns and list settings or you can design a list by creating a custom list.
Steps to create a list:
- Navigate to the site on which you want to create the new list (you must be in the right role to do this e.g. “site owner”).
- Click “Site Actions” in the upper left corner.
- Choose “More options”
- The “Create” screen appears.
- In the “Filter By” menu select “list”.
- Choose the template that fits your needs.
- On the right hand side of the screen, type a name that describes the list and click “create”.
Steps to delete a list:
- Navigate to the site on which hosts the list which you want to delete (you must be in the right role to do this e.g. “site owner”).
- In the Quickstart menu (on the left of your site) click on the listname of the list you want to delete.
- By clicking the list in step two the Ribbon contect menu called “List Tools” wille be displayed (make sure the “List” option is selected, in the dark blue bar in the top of your window)
- In the Ribbon choose “List Settings” this opens the list settings menu.
- The list settings menu shows a lot of properties and options, choose “delete this list” in the “permissions and management” category (located somewhere in the center of your screen).
- Confirm that you want to “move the list to the recycle bin” which, of course, sends the list to the recycle bin.